Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost, I will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. All opinions remain my own. For more information, please refer to my disclosure policy.
I don’t know about your mom, but my mom is a superhero. She manages to cook, clean, take care of the children, have a social life, and deal with everyday drama simultaneously. However, there are times I get worried because she tends to put her health and needs last. But she’s not alone. Most mothers that I’ve met have this same issue. Since they’re so busy with multitasking work, children, and caring for the house, they tend to forget to set aside time for themselves. But, even mom needs a break once in a while.
So, this week in honor of Mother’s Day, I will share some self-care ideas that will truly help all moms relax.
Why is Self Care so important?
Yes, you’ve probably read this a million times. But, self care is important and should not be put on the back burner. Self care helps you take care of your immediate needs and address many health concerns.
It’s a way for everyone to practice self love and to improve their overall wellness. Practicing self care comes with many health benefits such as an increased immune system, improved mood, lower chances of death, and helps with managing stress and dealing with mental health.
She may not admit it, but mom needs to start putting herself first. With that said here are 15 ways moms can practice Mother’s Day self care this weekend. So, if you’re a mom then this article is for you.
Mother’s Day Self Care
- Light a Candle: Research shows that candles have a soothing effect and can positively affect mental health. It can relieve yourself of anxiety, stress, depression, and other negative emotions with the right scent.
- Practice Deep Breathing: when you practice deep breathing, it tells the brain to calm down and relax. It’s a great way to destress after a long day.
- Read this for a list of deep breathing exercises
- Take a Bubble Bath: I love bubble baths because It’s such a simple way to improve my mood and unwind. So, if you notice that your body is hurting a little more than usual, consider taking a bubble bath. It will make you feel better.
- Journal: I will literally always advocate for journaling. Journaling is the best way to sort out pent-up emotions and to deal with how you are feeling. There are so many different ways to journal, plus it’s fun.
- Practice Gratitude: nothing is better than learning how to appreciate what you have in the small things in life.
- Move Your Body: Exercising is one of the best ways to practice physical self-care. Taking 10 to 15 minutes out of the day to walk around outside were at the gym will greatly improve your overall health and mood.
- Have a DIY Spa Day: Yes, you read this correctly, a spa day. Moms deserve to relax and feel like they’re floating on cloud nine. Grab your favorite face masks, skincare products, and products and treat yourself.
- Sleep In: Take a day off from waking up the kids and get your beauty rest. I’m sure Dad can handle them for a few hours.
- Buy Yourself a Gift: Mother’s Day is all about you. It’s okay to want to splurge a bit of money for something you want.
- If you’re looking for ideas to gift yourself, then check out these Mother’s Day Gift Ideas.
- Read Your Favorite Book: Reading is good for the mind and soul. Indulge yourself in a steamy romance, a comic, or any genre that brings you joy.
- Have a Drink: Not that I am promoting alcoholism, but I think that Mom deserves to have a drink or two to relax and have fun. Grab your favorite wine glass and bottle and treat yourself to a sip.
- Get Creative: Being creative is a great way to feed the heart and soul. Creativity helps you to connect to your inner self and those around you. It also helps to deal with mental and emotional stressors.
- Take Your Vitamins: Vitamins help the body to perform millions of roles. Make sure to take your vitamins when you’re supposed to because it’s good for your overall health and is a good healthy habit to practice.
- Disconnect From Technology: Many of us are obsessed with our phones and computers. However, unplugging from technology gives you the time to refresh the brain and create mental solitude.
- Learn To Take Breaks: Yes, I know how hard it is to find time to take a break. But, it would help if you did it because it’s important to your overall wellness. Breaks allow you to create space away from distractions and various stressors. It’s a good way also to avoid becoming easily overwhelmed with emotions.
Where to Find Additional Mother’s Day Self Care
Mother’s Day is about spending time with the woman or women who raised and cultivated you into who you are today. With that said, even Mom deserves to take a break. These Mother’s Day self care ideas will help mom to treat herself with lots of kindness. If you’re looking for other ways to teach Mom about practicing self care there are tons of resources out there for you. You can always search on Pinterest and Instagram for cool graphics on self care. Also, you can also look for small blogs such as mine that focus on self care and wellness and share it with her.
Regardless of where you get your self care ideas from, always make sure that Mom is taking some time off to care for her because if she cannot take care of herself then how will she care for the rest of the family.
What do you think of these Mother’s Day Self Care Ideas? Let me know in the comments!